The Role of Governors
Governors are the strategic leaders of the school and have a vital role to play in making sure every child gets the best possible education. They focus on three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent. The governors are accountable to parents and other key stakeholders in the community for decisions taken about the school. If you have any questions for the governing body please contact the Chair of Governors, c/o Oak Lodge School, 101 Nightingale Lane, London SW12 8NA
- Governors are actively involved in supporting the school working with staff on a variety of projects to improve the facilities, opportunities and achievements of our students.
- The Governors of Oak Lodge School are responsible with the Head Teacher for setting the aims and objectives of the school, and monitoring progress in delivering the best educational outcomes for all students.
- All governors are appointed for a four year term, unless indicated otherwise. The Chair and Vice Chair are elected every two years.
- None of the Governors hold Governorships in other schools.
- None of the Governors or their partners has business interests that are relevant to the school.
- The full governing body meets 3 times a year, in addition the following sub committees also meet at least once a term.
|Governors||Appointed as:||Date of appointment||Business Interests Declared|
|Desmond Jarrett||Chair, Co-opted Governor||01/ 06/ 2017||None|
|Sue Machell||Vice Chair, Co-opted Governor||01/06/2017||None|
|Jane Biddulph||Parent Governor||12/12/2016||None|
|Stephen Cave||Co-opted Governor||26/11/2013||None|
|Amy Lafferty-Herbert||Co-opted Governor||12/12/2017||None|
|Mike Smith||Co-opted Governor||12/12/2017||None|
|James Torrance||Co-opted Governor||12/12/2017||None|
|Hikmat Khaleeli||Co-opted Governor||12/12/2017||None|
|Angela Dudman||Staff Governor||None|
|Nkechi Ofor||Parent Governor||20/3/2018||None|
|Derek Kitchin||Executive Headteacher||12/12/2017||OFSTED Inspector|
|Jean Shaw||Co-opted Governor||12/ 11/ 2018|
|Theodora Hamilton||Co-opted Governor||12/ 11/ 2018|
|Governors stood down within the last year|
|Levent Marasli||Resigned December 2018|
|Dan Watkins||Resigned June 2018|
|Saffron Whitehead||Resigned April 2018|
|Sean Pond||Resigned December 2017|
Committee Chairs are responsible for the circulation of a draft Agenda the call for papers and finalising the Agenda in conjunction with the appropriate staff member or clerk of the committee.
|Student Welfare & Progress||Resources||Deaf First||Pay and Staff Disciplinary & Grievance Committees|
|Chair||S Machell||S Cave||D Jarrett||D Jarrett|
|Other Members(Advisors are in italics)||A Lafferty-Herbert||D. Watkins||D Watkins||*|
|D Jarrett||S Machell||J Biddulph||*|
|J Biddulph||M Smith||L Marasli||*|
|D Kitchin||J Torrance||M Smith||*|
|C Mukasa||H Khaleeli||J Torrance||*|
|R Rust||D Kitchin||H Khaleeli||*|
|C Mukasa||D Kitchin||*|
|B Thompson||B Thompson||*|
|K Chapman||K Chapman||*|
* As and when needed, appointments to be made.
Staff Appeals Committee. Ad hoc membership drawn from Governors not listed for original hearing.
Parent Governors 2
LA Governor 1
Staff governor 1
Co-opted Governors 9
|Leadership & Management||Sue Machell||Derek Kitchin|
|Teaching & Learning||Mike Smith||Bunty Dames|
|Pupil outcomes||Jane Biddulph / Des Jarrett||Christine Mukasa|
|Personal Development Behaviour & Welfare||Amy Herbert-Lafferty||Holly Black|
|Sixth form||Stephen Cave / James Torrance||Karen Duggan-Stevens|
|Residential||Sue Machell / Amy Herbert-Lafferty||Rachel Rust|
|Premises||Des Jarrett||Derek Kitchin, Karen Chapman|